Friday, May 1, 2015

Spies Like Us

I hate nosy people, especially strangers.  I don't trust them.  There are certain "social norms" of conversation with strangers that you just don't violate, and someone who does makes me suspicious, especially at 5AM.

I got a ride from an innocuous looking man in his mid-50s (I'd guess), and I had the pleasure of getting the back seat.  Dude in the front seat is clearly military and not the most comfortable with strangers asking prying questions either.

Dude driver, from now on known as PJ (Philip Jennings--male spy from The Americans), didn't even wait until we got out of the lot to start talking.  And by talking, I mean TALKING AT A REALLY LOUD VOLUME.  I can only assume so his surveillance device can pick up the voices.  He immediately stated to Front Seat Dude (FSD) that he's seen him before, but he was in the backseat last time.    He asks FSD what he does for a living.  FSD hesitates and tries to dodge the question.  PJ asks again.  FSD gives him an answer, and that was just about the worst thing he could've done.  It turned into 20 questions at that point, and FSD was stuck.  He politely gave short, but I'm assuming honest, answers, but tried to stop the interrogation.  I'm in the backseat with my eyes closed, pretending to sleep, but that didn't stop PJ from asking me what I do.  I ignored.  He asked again, only louder.  I very quietly answered "travel agent," thinking this is bland enough to have him gloss right over me.  But noooooooo.  He started asking for whom and where.  I tried to ignore again, but this guy was balls to the wall.  I decided to let my allergies take over the conversation, and I started coughing uncontrollably.  I did this long enough for him to switch his focus back on FSD.  

He then started digging into FSD's entire work history.  This was getting out of hand.  This is Spy 101.  This guy has an agenda.  It's not only annoying and inappropriate, but it's interfering with my morning Slug Nap.  The Slug Nap is sacred, and I just can't let this continue.  So I gave it back to him.  20 questions, some were repeated in different ways to see if he had his own story straight.  I started asking really probing questions about how much he makes and what benefits his company offers.  I asked him what the address was to his office, and what his work hours were.  For the most part, he started to dodge.  Hmmmm, was I getting too personal?  Was he uncomfortable with my line of questioning?  Too bad!  Maybe he will get the point. 

We start to approach our appointed drop-off location, and I noticed he was trying to come up with some sort of closing line of questioning.  He asked FSD if he ever worked with So-and-so, an old officer friend of his.  Rookie.  Luckily, FSD just said no and left it at that.  Good job buddy.

We arrived and disembarked the vehicle, exchanging "wtf" glances at each other.  He laughed and said "nice how you turned it around on him."

I just responded with "'Merica!" and I laughed and walked away.  Not today PJ.  Not today.


No comments: